Clove essential oil is one of my favorite spicy essential oils for many reasons. Clove comes from the flower buds of an evergreen tree and grows in a tropical, humid environment. Clove gets its name from the Latin word clavus, meaning “nail.” This is a fitting name, as the buds of clove resemble small tacks and nails. Here are the top 10 ways I like to use to clove essential oil:
1. Clove is excellent for oral health. It has wonderful numbing properties that are great for teething babies, cold sores, and dental procedures. Simply rub a small amount of Clove on the affected area for numbing relief. Make sure to dilute it with olive or coconut oil if using on infants.
2. Clove is also excellent to use as a mouth gargle. Put 1 drop in 2-4 ounces of water, gargle, and spit. Your breathe will never have smelt so good. 🙂
3. Diffuse Clove by itself to experience its warm, energizing, and stimulating properties.
4. Cloves warm and woody aroma is great o use in many diffuser blends. My favorite is to diffuse 2 drops CLove, 3 drops Wild Orange, and 1 drop White Fir.
5. Cloves main chemical component, eugenol, makes it a very stimulating and energizing essential oil. Recent studies have shown that eugenol can assist the body in maintaining normal gastrointestinal studies, which can help those who can digestive distress.*
6. Clove contains powerful antioxidant properties that helps to support the immune system. When environmental threats are high, put 1-2 drops of Clove in a vegetarian capsule and take internally for immune support.
9. Like other spicy or woody essential oils, Clove oil blends well with essential oils that have similar properties. Spicy essential oils like Wild Orange, Frankincense, Cassia, Cedarwood, Ginger, and Cinnamon blend well with Clove oil due to their warm aromatic characteristics. Clove oil also blends well with sweet, herbaceous essential oils like Roman Chamomile and Fennel oil.
10. Use with Fractionated Coconut Oil for a warming massage. Clove is a caustic (hot) essential oil and should always be diluted when used topically on your skin.