There is a reason why this blog is called Dear Lavender. Lavender oil is a must-have-at-all-times oil. If in doubt, use Lavender. Seriously though. Lavender has many wonderful qualities and is known as the ‘calming oil’ because of its high linalool content. It has been used for centuries to help calm and relax emotions, skin, and more. Here are the top 10 ways I love to use Lavender essential oil:
1. Put on bottom of feet before bed to help promote a good night’s sleep. My husband, who used to be a huge essential oil skeptic, swears by Lavender. He puts Lavender on the bottom of his feet every night before bed. If he misses a night, both of us suffer. #grumpyhubby
2. I’m a waxing girl. My eyebrows, chin, bikini, underarms. You name it. The worst part of waxing are the irritated red bumps (can I get an amen!). Red bumps are no longer a problem with Lavender essential oil! Prevent the little red bumps before they even have time to appear with Lavender! Just rub on skin as soon as you’re done waxing for beautiful, even, and bump free skin. Side note: If you have wax stuck on you that you can’t get off use Lemon essential oil. It takes care of any extra wax / stickiness. It’s a game changer!
3. Add to your favorite desserts. I always get that same weird stare at people every time I mention cooking with Lavender. The secret is less is more. Add too much and it tastes like soap. Add just enough and it adds a subtle sweet and floral notes. These Lavender Cupcakes with Lavender Cream Cheese Frosting I made at doTERRA are to this day still one of my favorite recipes. The secret ingredient: 1 toothpick of Lavender. (I’ll talk about the toothpick method in a later post.)
4. I don’t know about you, but I love making my own diffuser blends. Lavender complements almost every blend. It’s calming, relaxing, and soothing aroma helps to add a subtle floral aroma that will relax your body, mind, and soul.
5. There is a reason why my nickname is high school was “Casper the Friendly Ghost”. I am white. Like blind your eyes because of my pasty skin white white. With pale skin, often comes a higher chance of sun sensitivities and Lavender is always my go-to whenever I get too much sun. It calms my skin quickly, reduces redness, and helps to prevent peeling. That, my friends, is a win-win-win.
6. I suffered enough with my skin as teenager to never want to deal with acne again. Although my skin is better now than it has ever been before (thanks Verage!), I still get the occasional zit. Putting Lavender on immediately after I feel a zit coming drastically reduces the redness, size, and duration of the zit. Have you all been convinced of how great Lavender is yet?!
7. Seasonal discomfort sufferers all have one thing in common. We hate the awful way we feel when seasons change. The combination of Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint can help! I’m sure there is some scientific stuff to back me up on this, but that trio of essential oil really work! doTERRA has a softgel called ‘TriEase’ which has those three oils packaged for easy consumption. If you don’t want to take the softgels, you can simply make your own with equal parts of each oil. You’ll thank me later.
8. Anxious feelings are not fun. . As someone who severely suffers with anxious feelings, I understand the toll it can take on your quality of life. Although I will NEVER recommend replacing essential oils for any medication you’re on, I highly suggest using Lavender internally as a complementary agent. Simply add 1-2 drops in a veggie cap and take with a glass of water.
9. I’m a crafty person. I know it and I love it. So, it is no surprise then that I love DIY projects using essential oils. Two of my favorite things to make with Lavender essential oil are these Moisturizing Lotion Bars and these Bath Bombs. They are both great to give as presents, and because most everyone enjoys the aroma of Lavender, are loved by all.
10. Lavender is great for your hair as it can help promote growth, shine, and overall health. My favorite way to incorporate Lavender into my hair care routine is by adding 5-10 drops in my shampoo bottle. That way I infuse my shampoo with the amazing properties of Lavender and get to enjoy its benefits with each use.
Want to purchase a bottle of Lavender essential oil? I would be happy to help!